MotionBuilder® 3D character animation software for virtual production helps you to more efficiently manipulate and refine data with greater reliability. Capture, edit, and play back complex character animation in a highly responsive, interactive environment, and work with a display optimized for both animators and directors.
Real-time 3D engine
Access one of the industry's fastest animation tools.
Take on demanding, high-volume projects:
- Unified nondestructive, nonlinear editing environment
- Live device support and live data recording to disk
- Full-body inverse kinematics character technology with animation retargeting
- Available as a 64-bit executable for the Linux® operating system
Motion capture editing and data cleanup
Includes production-proven tools to manipulate motion capture data.
Capitalize on trends for stereoscopic 3D content.
With its software development kit, support for Autodesk® FBX® data exchange technology, and Python® scripting, MotionBuilder interoperates with certain products in the Autodesk® Entertainment Creation Suite. Establish live streaming between MotionBuilder and Autodesk® Maya® software to send HumanIK® characters between applications.
Specifications & Licensing
System requirements for Autodesk® MotionBuilder
MotionBuilder is supported on the following 64-bit operating systems and at a minimum requires a system with the following 64-bit hardware:
- Windows® 8 Professional edition, Windows® 7 Professional edition, Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 6.2 WS, or Fedora™ 14 Linux operating system
- 64-bit Intel or AMD multicore processor
- 4 GB RAM (8GB recommended)
- 2 GB free hard drive space
- Refer to theRecommended Hardwarewizard for a detailed list of recommended systems and graphics cards
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer®, Apple® Safari®, or Mozilla Firefox® web browser
Motion Builder is available as either standalone (node-locked) or network (floating) licenses.
Standalone Licenses do not work with dongles, instead with an active subscription you can transfer your license to a different computer using the Online Transfer System.
Upon purchase, you will receive a Serial Number and Product key that is used to activate software via Internet. If no Internet is available, Motion Builder will generate a request code that is used to manually activate the software.
Upgrades to Network licenses are available
Network licenses require LMtools 11.7 to be running at all times on workstation/server. LMtools will manage your licenses between workstations.
Thanks to the new licensing system, users can now check out network licenses to take off the network for remote use.
Upon purchase of a Network license you will need to provide your designated license servers Host name and Host ID (MAC Address) in order to create the license key.
Upgrades / Support
Autodesk offers the following Upgrades and Support options:
Subscription / Gold Support
- Software upgrades
- Exclusive updates
- Access to training and learning materials
- Entitlement to use in previous versions
- Home-Use licensing
- Enhanced license management tools
- Unlimited Phone and Web Support
- Defect Tracking
- Upgrade from Previous versions to Current (Dongle's no longer supported as of v.2010)
- Upgrade from Standalone to Network Licenses
- Upgrade to Maya Entertainment Suite
- Upgrade to Maya Entertainment Suite Premium
- Upgrade to 3ds Max Entertainment Suite
- Upgrade to 3ds Max Entertainment Suite Premium
RFX is available for all your support needs.
- Autodesk provides initial installation support upon purchase
- Unlimited Phone and Web Support available with Subscription / Gold Support (see above)
Enhance your Softimage pipeline with the following products:
- Autodesk Maya
- Autodesk 3ds Max
- Autodesk Softimage
- Autodesk Maya Entertainment Creation Suite: Maya + MotionBuilder + Mudbox
- Autodesk Maya Entertainment Creation Suite Premium: Maya + MotionBuilder + Mudbox + Softimage
- Autodesk HumanIK middleware
Training / Resources
Go to Area for MotionBuilder tutorials, tips, downloads and forums.