No matter where you fall in the production pipeline, SpeedTree has you covered with its state-of-the-art game development software. Whether you’re looking to create serious games ecosystems, video game forests or any other real-time application tree or plant, SpeedTree for Games is the software you need.
SpeedTree for Artists
- Artists can take full control with the SpeedTree Modeler – it handles both ultra-realistic and highly stylized trees.
- Save time with procedural modeling, or get exact results with hand drawing.
- Precisely control crucial performance aspects including polygon counts, LOD transitions, and fill rate.
- Gain access to the SpeedTree Model Library – hundreds of species and thousands of high-quality texture maps at your fingertips.
- Use our built-in world builder to quickly place thousands of trees.
- For more details and to see tree modeling in action, view a modeling walkthrough right now.
SpeedTree for Programmers
- Full source code is provided via the SpeedTree SDK. Drop the code right in, or modify it in any way.
- Vast and efficient forests – the SDK has a highly optimized system to cull the trees that aren't visible and determine the LOD states of the ones that are.
- The SpeedTree Compiler will automatically generate distant billboards and also stitch texture maps together into a shared atlas to reduce draw calls.
- Our billboards are 360° (approach them from any direction) and normal-mapped (the lighting matches at any time of day). We also supply a horizontal billboard for bird's eye views.
- We support multiple platforms without being a black box. Use only the C++ classes that you need, from full forest management to basic geometry access.
When you license SpeedTree for Games you'll receive a suite of tools and art assets designed to cover all aspects of tree modeling and rendering that integrates with your game design software implementation. Here's what you get in this product suite:
This is where it all starts. The Modeler covers all aspects of modeling including procedural and hand drawing methods, wind, LOD, lighting, physics, and more. It even does world building for large scale tree placement!
Tree Model Library
SpeedTree allows you to load any tree from our Model Library.
Bypass our rendering code, or export high-detail trees for use in the modeling package of your choice. We export to popular formats such as FBX and OBJ, and include wind animation and skinned skeletons.
This light-weight app gets trees primed for real-time rendering. Use the Compiler to combine efficient real-time tree models, texture atlases, and 360° normal-mapped billboards in no time.
This set of C++ classes conquers all of the tasks associated with high performance tree rendering, all in a way that is easy to integrate.
SpeedTree Modeler will change the way you think about procedural content creation. Never again will video game animation artists need to sacrifice design choices and settle for a look and feel bound by a limited set of quirky function buttons. Now you can integrate trees and lifelike vegetation into game environments, customized in a way never before possible.
SpeedTree Modeler Features
- Hand drawing. Draw branch structures directly in the viewport using a tablet device or the mouse.
- Break a branch, then cap it realistically – or delete individual branches & leaves entirely.
- Use forces to curl, twist, or gnarl any tree part.
- Grow around props. Make trees grow around or inside arbitrary meshes from your world.
- Scale resolution. Quickly scale the amount of polygonal detail without affecting the shape of your model.
- Preview dynamics. Test real-time physics interaction, wind, and LOD all in the Modeler.
- Edit individual tree parts without affecting the rest of the tree. Our node-editing approach lets you tune or delete any branch, frond, or leaf.
- World building with tree placement export directly from the Modeler.(not included with SpeedTree Studio or SpeedTree Architect).
- Weld branches. No more lighting seams or branch intersections.
This light-weight app gets trees primed for real-time rendering. For video game development, use the Compiler to quickly combine efficient real-time tree models, texture atlases, and 360° normal-mapped billboards.
SpeedTree Compiler Features
- Compiler Wizard. SpeedTree Compiler has a wizard mode that quickly gets your trees real-time ready, with simpler options.
- Efficient binary file format. The Compiler intelligently computes and renders not only billboards and texture maps, but also efficient binary tree models.
- Perfect billboards. Distant trees that transition into billboards match their 3D counterparts to a 'T' – even under dynamic lighting. The Compiler outputs all the texture layers needed to pull it off.
- Combine trees with texture atlases. Reduce the number of texture look-ups by combining textures from multiple trees into a shared set of atlases. Rotate and scale individual textures to ensure a compact fit.
The engineering prowess that made SpeedTree the industry's premiere real-time foliage choice has been completely retooled, with huge strides in efficiency and ease of use.
SpeedTree SDK Features
- Vast forest rendering. The incredible trees you have meticulously modeled will make it to real-time in huge, dense forests of efficient, animated goodness.
- Improved rendering quality. Support built-in for shadow mapping, translucency, ambient occlusion, per-pixel lighting, alpha-to-coverage and more.
- New level of detail system. New shader-based LOD system yields seamless transitions without popping or fizzling.
- Boundless terrain and grass engines. Need a mountainous vista, a dramatic valley, or a meadow filled with windblown grasses? For the first time, the tools you need are all included.
- Wind. Our gusting, wind-blown trees look more realistic than ever.
It's Your Pipeline
SpeedTree allows any level of middleware integration or Unreal render engine integration with your development environment:
Static Mesh Export
When using your own LOD, wind, and forest management code, export meshes directly from the Modeler. FBX, OBJ and others supported – an export SDK is also available for writing custom exporters.
Drop-In Rendering Code
The SpeedTree reference application is offered as a thorough sample integration (with full C++ source). Use the complete SDK, or use just the components you need.
SpeedTree integrations are available (or are being prepared for) a growing list of popular commercial engines. Ask your engine provider.