Vue 2014 Esprit / Studio / Complete offer high-end 3D scenery solutions for natural environments such as wind swept trees / plants, spectral atmospheres and detailed terrains in fully animated scenes.
All Vue products in the 3D Artist line share similar technologies. They will all let you achieve high quality results. The difference is in ease of use, level of control and integration with other tools.
By adding modules, users are able to progressively upgrade all the way from Pioneer up to Complete.
Vue 2014 Esprit, Studio and Complete represent pre-bundled, cost-effective alternatives to the modular approach of Pioneer.
Vue 2014 Esprit / Studio / Complete Feature Comparison
Vue Esprit, Studio and Complete represent pre-bundled, cost-effective alternatives to the modular approach of Pioneer:
Vue 2014 Esprit / Studio / Complete New Features
Physically Accurate Sunlight Model
The new photometric sunlight model uses a real-world, physical simulation of sun and atmospheric lighting intensities. This new, scientifically accurate model offers an alternative to the more artistic approach of the existing Spectral model.
Just like your SLR: Because light intensities match their real-world couterparts, you can adjust exposure using the standard shutter speed, film speed (iso) and f-number settings, exactly as if you were taking a picture using a real camera. If you like, these settings can also be handled automatically by Vue.
As a result, your renders will look more photo-real in a subtle way, and HDR renders will preserve all the range of the natural spectrum .
You can easily switch between the new photometric model and the standard spectral model; Vue will make all the required changes automatically.
You can now assign physically accurate values to all light properties, such as color temperature (Incandescent, Halogen, Fluorescent, Tungsten...), light intensity (Lumens or Candelas) and IES Profiles.
IES profiles represent the distribution of light emitted by a given light source in any direction. Using IES profiles, you can recreate exact digital replicas of real-world light sources.
Use one of the many preset IES profiles or load your own using the dedicated IES Viewer.
Vue Esprit 2014 lets you select different tone mapping filters to specify how raw HDR colors are transformed into the final picture. These filters typically simulate the response of the human eye or chemical photographic film:
- The Photographic Exposure filter provides the typical response of photographic film, and gives you control over the response curve (such as Shadows, Mid-tones or Highlights).
- The Linear Exposure filter is the simplest of all: no contrast transformation is performed, the tone curve is flat, and the user can control the steepness of the response.
- The two Reinhard Exposure filters provide control over contrast enhancement, as well as Brightness, Chromatic and Light adaptation.
- The False Colors filter can be used to visualize the HDR range of intensities of the rendered picture.
- The Vue Exposure filter is the legacy response curve, with or without natural film response.
Vue Esprit 2014 introduces a new color production mode called Natural Grain.
This new mode produces natural color variations particularly well suited for terrains, ground, or any natural elements of your scene.
Great results, no brain squash: Ideal for quick results, the Natural Grain option provides high level access to settings such as contrast, balance and roughness, directly from the Material Editor without having to delve into the intricacies of the Function Editor (of course, you can always customize the look further using the Function Editor).
Improved Material Management
The Material Summary dialog was redisgned to allow a better display and manipulation of the materials included in your scene. The material previews appear on several rows, and all material preview can now be resized. The Scale, Load or Edit parameters are also directly available in the Material Summary dialog.
Material layers can be easily hidden/unhidden within the Material Tab of the World Browser. This option can be useful if you want to see the exact impact of the environment settings on the edited layer for instance (requires theDeepAccess module).
In the Material Editor, you can now switch material layers without losing their original environment settings.
Other Rendering Enhancements:
- Surfaces can easily be made more or less reflective according to angle of incidence.
- Highly optimized flat Area Lights: the rendering of planar area lights of same quality is faster than previous versions.
EcoSystems, EcoParticles and Vegetation
In the real world, plants tend to grow close together rather than evenly distributed.
EcoSystem Clumping in Vue Esprit 2014 lets you easily replicate this effect using only two sliders, clumping amount and average clump size.
You can get access to the above features thanks to the EcoSystem module.
Gravel and Small Item EcoSystems
Vue Esprit 2014 features highly optimized algorithms to accelerate the rendering of EcoSystems containing many small items, such as gravel or grass blades.
These new algorithms also significantly optimize the memory footprint and are compatible with both Static and Dynamic EcoSystems.
Plant Factory Compatibility
Vue Esprit 2014 natively recognizes Plant Factory content (without requiring ownership of Plant Factory). Animate Health, Seasonality or other published plant parameters directly inside the Vue Timeline (requires the Botanica module).
When using Plant Factory plants in your EcoSystems, a new Quality setting is available in the Population list that lets you define the amount of detail of the plant instances, thus saving memory and reducing render times.
The above features are available through the addition of the EcoSystem and / orEcoPainter modules.
EcoParticles can be set to collide with static EcoSystem instances in the scene.
This is also available for EcoParticle weather systems (snow and rain).
The above features are available through the addition of the EcoSystem and KronosFX modules.
A lot of work went into Vue Esprit 2014 to enhance your workflow and simplify your everyday use of the software:
Capitalizing on the Plant Factory interface, the Vue Esprit 2014 Function Editor was redesigned for improved performance on modern computer displays.
The new Function Editor is shown horizontally with streamlined parameter access.
Real-World Sun Position
Vue Esprit 2014 can position the sun exactly as it would be in real-life, based on time of day, date and location on Earth. You can pinpoint the location on a map, select from a set of predefined locations, or indicate the exact coordinates (and store them in the list of presets).
Render Stack Improvements
You can set Vue to stack renders globally or on a per scene basis.
You can change the camera in the scene to a preferred camera setting from a previous render in the stack, by right-clicking on the render and selecting Reapply camera settings to current camera.
The Render Stack gives you the option to flip your render horizontally. This is helpful when evaluating composition and other aspects of the render.
You can add titles to the thumbnails of stacked renders in the Render Stack: .
You can get access to the above features thanks to the DeepAccess module.
World Browser Improvements
Internal optimization for large scenes (containing hundreds of materials) allows massive responsiveness gain with the World Browser.
New display options for materials in the world browser: "Show Only Materials of Selected Objects", "Show Only Materials Names" and "Hide Materials of Ecosystem Specimens".
All objects can easily be hidden/locked/shown from the World Browser.
Layers can be hidden from render globally directly from the World Browser or from a menu command.
You can get access to the above features thanks to the DeepAccess module.
Other Interface Enhancements:
- Foldable EcoPainter: All sections in the EcoPainter and Brush Editor are foldable, letting you customize the dialogs to your needs (requires theEcoPainter module)
- Mouse wheel automatically zooms view beneath mouse pointer
- Scroll through scrollable areas using mouse wheel
- Add Camera menu option in the Objects menu
- Menu items show icons or thumbnails for better clarity
- Easily identify Recent scenes and Snapshots (manual or auto-saved) using thumbnails directly in the menu
- Sort Materials by names in the Material tab of the World Browser (requires the DeepAccess module)
- Easily change the height of Infinite procedural terrains in the Terrain Editor
- Change material name and scale directly in the material editor when using layered materials
- You can completely freeze all camera attributes (animation key frames included). This is particularly handy to avoid any manipulation to alter your camera animation (requires the DeepAccess module)
- Individual cameras can be saved/reloaded as .VOB files
- Vue Esprit 2014 is now compatible with Apple's Retina display technology
- Direct access to Wiki or PDF using Help key (set your preference between Wiki and PDF in User Preferences)
Modules for Vue 2014
Vue Pioneer grows with you!
Add optional modules to gradually expand Vue Pioneer's feature set as your proficiency increases. You can go all the way up to Vue Complete - at your own pace!
Natural Scenery Creation
EcoParticles - The Vue Particle System
With Release 11, Vue gets particles! But it's not standard particles, it's a new concept of particles:
You can do all the standard stuff that particles are good at, but you can also do a lot more. Rather than creating simple emitters, and having particles grow out of them, we designed a new way of handling particles that is specifically well suited for Digital Nature, EcoParticles!
This new technology is ideal for the creation of animated rain, snow, waterfalls, explosions, fire, smoke, tornadoes, falling leaves, swarm of insects and more.
EcoParticles as EcoSystems
On top of these new physical settings, all of the classic EcoSystem configuration parameters are used for particle instance population.EcoParticles are added to any material like a regular EcoSystem material layer. But with EcoParticles, you get in depth control over the way the particles will evolve over time. You can define the speed, direction, collision properties and duration of life of the particles, as well as subject them to external influences.
Effectors are special objects that will influence the EcoParticles in the scene. Effects like tornadoes, jittering, attraction, etc. are easily created this way.
In Depth EcoParticle Control
Vue 11 Complete offers a rich collection of function nodes to control your EcoParticle behavior. You can combine many nodes to create one "super" particle system .
It's possible to make particles create particles (e.g. to create a firework effect, or a rain drop that creates a water splash as soon as it hits the ground), based on the behavior of the root particles.
EcoParticles can fall, collide, bounce and interact with forces and with each other. EcoParticles react to natural phenomena thanks to various physical parameters such as mass, velocity, gravity, collision, wind influence, elasticity, attachement and more...
Perfect for Stills, Better for Animations
You can easily setup how your EcoParticles will evolve over time using parameters such as size variation, growth, opacity variation, velocity, flow and more. Additionally, you can specify how your EcoParticles die, setting up their life duration, or even make them turn into another species of EcoParticle.Even though the new EcoParticle technology will produce great effects for your still renders, animation is where they really shine!
Each EcoParticle life parameter can be driven by a function graph to precisely control your effects.
Vue 11 Complete ships with a small collection of EcoParticle emitter presets to help you get to grips with this new technology.
Automatic Weather Effects - Rain and Snow
These new atmospheric effects enable artists to instantly create anything from gentle spring rain to a tropical storm, a gentle falling snow to a blizzard, with a simple click of the mouse.
The heaviness, shape, drop size, speed and falling angle of the precipitation is user controllable.
Motion blur can be added if desired too.
Weather Effects are available for all types of atmospheres.
The New EcoPainter
You can now create your own brushes using a combination of effectors. For instance, brushes that will resize and align instances at the same time.The EcoSystem Painter (EcoPainter) is completely redesigned to allow even more control and flexibility.
There are a number of new brush effects to boot, including the ability to lean or rotate instances, raise or lower them, move them around, etc.
Customizable EcoPainter Brushes
Like the brushes in the Terrain Editor, each EcoPainter brush now has its own dialog that displays all of the parameters that can be adjusted.
If you want to display a specific brush parameter directly in the main EcoPainter dialog, you can do so with a click on the corresponding Publish icon.
Integrated Selection Tool
The EcoSystem Selection tool is now part of the EcoPainter. You can now use the selection function to define the instances to work with, directly in the EcoSystem Painter dialog.
EcoSystem Technology Enhancements
EcoSystem Fast Population
A new population mode is available in the General tab of the Material Editor, called "Fast population mode". Each parameter modification (e.g. instance density, scale or orientation) is instantly applied to the population and refreshed in the viewport.
Once you are happy with the look of your population, you can optionally press the "Accuratly reposition on surface" to precisely place your instances on your geometry.
EcoSystem 360° Population
Vue can now automatically populate EcoSystems from all directions including below objects. This feature works on any kind of object from basic spheres to complex geometry such as rocks, cars, houses... and all applicable EcoSystem settings are supported.
Vue 11 Complete offers the ability to stack EcoSystem instances.
EcoSystem Stacking is available both while populating an EcoSystem through the material editor, or painting it with the EcoPainter.
The maximum number of instances which can be stacked onto another is user definable.
Other EcoSystem Improvements
- Simply invert the current EcoSystem selection with the click of a button.
- Objects can now be dropped onto EcoSystem instances using the Drop / Smart Drop options.
- EcoSystem Painter settings (brush size, flow, etc.) can be set on a per-material basis.
- Instance colors can be reverted directly from the EcoPainter dialog.
Specifications & Licensing
Minimum System Requirements
Vue is a 32 & 64 bits application, designed for the Windows® 32/64 bits XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 and Intel Mac OS X platforms.
- Mac OS X v10.6+ 32/64,
- 2GHz Intel processor or faster,
- 1GB of free RAM,
- 200 MB of free Hard Disk space,
- 1200x768 in 65K colors/16 bits (24+ bits recommended).
- Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 32/64,
- 2GHz Pentium IV or better processor,
- 1GB of free RAM,
- 200 MB of free Hard Disk space,
- 1200x768 in 65K colors/16 bits (24+ bits recommended).
Note: Vue Esprit 2014 installed on a multi-core CPU computer will use a maximum of respectively 4/8 CPUs on 32/64 bit OS.
Recommended System Specs
- Windows 64 bit (XP, Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8), Mac OS X v10.6
- Multi-core CPU (Intel QuadCore, Core I7, or Mac Pro),
- 4GB+ of RAM,
- 4GB+ of free Hard Disk space (on the drive hosting the OS),
- An OpenGL accelerated video board (see below for optimal compatibility)
Supported Video Boards
Vue Esprit 2014 now includes an automatic configuration tool that will set all OpenGL options just after install, for optimized previewing on your video board / driver.
The following boards/chips will perform using the new Shader engine:
|Brand||Model||Required Driver Version||Supported OS||Limitations|
|nVidia||geforce 8800GT||ForceWare 190.38 + (3)||Windows only|
|nVidia||geforce 9800GT||ForceWare 190.38 + (3)||Shaded Billboards not supported on Mac|
|nVidia||GTX 260 -> 280||ForceWare 190.38 + (3)||Shaded Billboards not supported on Mac|
|nVidia||GTX 460 -> 480||ForceWare 190.38 + (3)||Shaded Billboards not supported on Mac|
|nVidia||GTX 500 Series||ForceWare 190.38 + (3)||Shaded Billboards not supported on Mac|
|nVidia||Quadro FX 1800 -> 5800||ForceWare 190.38 + (3)||Shaded Billboards not supported on Mac|
|nVidia||Quadro 4000 -> 6000||ForceWare 190.38 + (3)||Shaded Billboards not supported on Mac|
|nVidia||Quadro 600 & 2000 (GF100 based)||Any||Windows only|
|ATI||Radeon HD 26xx||Any||Mac only|
|ATI||Radeon 48xx||Catalyst 9-3, 9-4, 9-5 & 10.12(1)||Shaded Billboards not supported on Mac|
|ATI||Radeon (HD) 5700 -> 58xx||Catalyst 9.12 +||May display some minor glitches, Shaded Billboards not supported on Mac (2)|
|ATI||Radeon 6000 Series||Any||May display some minor glitches, Shaded Billboards not supported on Mac (2)|
|ATI||FirePro V8700||Catalyst 9-3, 9-4 & 9-5||Windows only|
|ATI||FirePro V4800/5800/7800/8800||Any||Windows only. May display some minor glitches (2)|
(1) Requires a Vue 9 build superior to 9005724. Resizing editors, or really heavy scenes may generate some instability.
(2) Support for Shaded Billboards on Windows requires a Vue 9 build superior to 9005724.
(3) Warning! Do not install Nvidia Drivers 270.61. These drivers weren't certified with Vue and may present severe OpenGL issues!
Other boards (such as the nVidia GeForce 210/220/240, 300 and 300M series, 6000 and 7000 series...) may not perform using the Shader engine, but will perform using the older fixed-pipeline one.
Older boards such as Voodoo, Rage Pro, Radeon 8000 up until Geforce FX chips included, all Intel video boards, and all unrecognized boards will run in software OpenGL mode only.
Due to recent changes in the Mac OS 10.6 OpenGL implementation, which resulted in a massive slowdown of OpenGL intensive applications, Shaded Billboards are not supported at all on Mac.
In any case, Vue can perform in software OpenGL regardless of the video board.
Boards that are not on this list may work with Vue, but haven't been extensively tested. If you run into any OpenGL issues, try disabling background draw and antialiasing in the Options panel. Worst case scenario: you can always run Vue insoftware OpenGL mode.
Warning: Laptops using Nvidia's Optimus or ATI's BinaryGFX technologies may present severe OpenGl problems. We recommend that users deactivate this option when running Vue!
Media and activation keys are delivered via Mail/UPS/Fedex. The Media box contains (2) DVD's
- Vue Software
- Extras DVD containing Content, training and resources
Activation Keys may arrive via Email or inside DVD package depending on the urgency of delivery.
Software is NOT downloadable
E-on License Server is available for Network and Render licenses. However, if you use a Vue Network license, you have to use a Render network license. E-on license server must be purchased separately but includes free upgrades to future license server versions.
Upgrades / Resources
e-on offers the following upgrades and maintenance options:
This is an annual maintenance contract that includes a number of benefits:
- Free upgrades during the subscription period, including free upgrades to all .5 and full versions,
- Unlimited, priority web-based technical support,
- Access to EEF releases (Expedited Engineering Fix),
- Access to “Maintenance Only” forums.
Requires that all your licenses be under Premium Maintenance. Unused priority support incidents expire with the maintenance plan.
- All of the Standard Maintenance benefits from above
- Your own private ftp on our servers, where you can upload issue-related content,
- Four priority support incidents per product (see above),
- Priority Problem Resolution: if it is determined by our support technician that the cause of a priority support incident is a bug in our software, we will assign at least one developer to the resolution of this bug within 24 business hours following identification of the bug. This does not apply to feature requests or improvements.
- Custom Development: if you need a modification in the software, or are lacking a feature that would greatly benefit one of your projects, you can contact e-on software support technicians with a detailed specification of the requested changes. The e-on software development team will promptly analyze your specifications and respond with a quote for the development of a customized version of the product implementing the requested changes.
- Upgrades to current versions
- Sidegrade between Vue xStream and Vue Infinite
- Render Cow Upgrades
- Upgrade from Node-locked to Floating
RFX is available for all your support needs.
e-on provides the following support options
Per-Incident Priority Support
Flexible, pay-per-incident priority telephone support from e-on software. You only pay for the support you need. Each support incident includes:
- One telephone incident, with guaranteed call-back time under 4 business hours,
- Direct one-to-one communication with qualified e-on software support technicians,
- Efficient resolution of system-specific issues through remote diagnosis (if you agree),
- Follow-up support until the incident is resolved.
If it is determined by the support technician that the issue is caused by a bug, and the support technician is unable to provide a reasonable workaround, we will credit a new, replacement per-incident support ticket to your account free of charge.
Enhance your Vue pipeline with the following products:
- Autodesk Maya
- Autodesk 3ds Max
- Autodesk Softimage
- Maxon Cinema 4D
- Newtek Lightwave
Vue also support the following file formats for importing and exporting data between other 3d products.
3D Import Filters
3DS: 3D Studio™ object file format, Conversion of Max animated objects to Vue format (using the included plugins)
3DMF: 3D Metafile object file format.
COB: TrueSpace™ object file format.
DAE: Collada animated object file format.
DEM: USGS Digital Elevation Model. Terrains are placed according to information in the file (ideal for importing multi-part DEMs).
DXF: AutoCad™ object file format.
LWO, LWO2: LightWave™ object file format.
OBJ: Wavefront™ object file format (with automatic MTL library conversion).
PZ3, PZZ: Smith Micro™ Poser® static/animated scene import (requires Poser 4, 5, 6, 7 or Pro).
RAW: Raw geometry file format.
SHD: Shade™ 6 object file format.
SKP: SketchUp™ object file format (up to v7, Win32 only).
TGA: 16 bit RG encoded Targa altitude map.
WML: VRML object file format.
3D Export Filters
3DS: 3D Studio™ object file format.
C4D: Cinema 4D™ object file format.
COB: TrueSpace™ object file format.
DXF: AutoCad™ object file format.
LWO, MOT, LWS: LightWave™ file formats.
OBJ: Wavefront™ object file format.
SHD: Shade™ object file format.
Note: entire scenes can be exported as 3DS or LightWave LWS files only. Object animation
information (motion, scale and orientation) can be exported as 3DS or LightWave MOT/LWS files.
2D Import/Export Filters
BMP: standard Windows bitmap, uncompressed.
EXR: 32 bit floating point EXR image format
PICT: standard Macintosh picture file format.
JPG: Jpeg compressed picture file format.
TGA: Targa picture file format.
TIFF: Tagged Image File Format.
GIF: Compuserve GIF color mapped bitmap.
BUM: Poser bump map.
DEM: USGS/SDTS Digital Elevation Model.
IFF: Image File Format.
PCX: PCX picture file format.
PNG: Portable Network Graphics file format.
PSD: Photoshop Image File Format (Multi-layer PSD when used for multi-pass renders).
QTVR: QuickTime VR panorama.
RLA: Run Length encoded version file format (stores partial G-Buffer information).
RPF: Rich Pixel Format file format (stores all G-Buffer information).
HDR: High Dynamic Range image format.
OpenEXR: ILM's high dynamic range format.
EPX: Piranesi EPix file format.
VIM: Vue image file format.
Vue skies can be exported as HDR sky-spheres or sky-cubes for use in other applications.
Vector Data Import
EPS: Encapsulated Postscript.
AI: Adobe Illustrator 3.2
Animation Export Filters
MOV: QuickTime movie format. (Note: Not supported by Windows 64 bit Editions)
AVI: Audio Video Interleaved animation format.
MA: Camera animation export (e.g. to After Effects).
Mpeg1: moving picture expert group, Ver.1 animation format.
Mpeg2: moving picture expert group, Ver.2 animation format.
Independent Frame animation in all supported picture file formats.
Animated Texture Map Import Filters
MOV: QuickTime movie format (Macintosh only).
AVI: Audio Video Interleaved animation format (Windows only).
Personal Learning Edition
The Personal Learning Edition (PLE) is a fully functional version of Vue xStream/Infinite (selection of xStream or Infinite is done during installation). With the PLE, you can:
- Create complete projects, save your work and export to other applications,
- Render stills and animations without size/length limit,
- Experience Vue’s power directly inside Max/Maya/LightWave/Cinema4D/Softimage,
- Learn at your own pace (the PLE never expires)!
The Vue Personal Learning Editions perform under all versions of Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit), and are Mac Intel 32bit only for MacOSX (10.5 and 10.6).
The PLE is for personal, non-commercial use only, files cannot be exchanged with other PLE users and are not compatible with other versions of Vue, network rendering is disabled, renders may be watermarked and carry a logo.