By: Chaos Group
Built on V-Ray’s core platform of rendering speed, stability, and quality, V-Ray® for Softimage is an advanced rendering solution for the VFX and animation industries. V-Ray for Softimage includes ICE support, efficient Global Illumination, versatile shaders, and much more.
V-Ray for Softimage offers a rich set of functionality's for fast and efficient rendering and an intuitive approach towards shading and light. V-Ray for Softimage includes: ICE support, complex mesh support using V-Ray Proxy objects, versatile shaders with V-Ray materials, quick and accurate global illumination, and much more.
Efficient Multicore Ray-Tracing Engine - V-Ray is an optimized, multicore ray tracing solution, rendering complex geometry, shading, illumination, and optical effects with unprecedented speed and accuracy.
- ICE Support - Render particles, strands, hair, and geometry produced by Softimage’s award-winning ICE system.Proxy Objects - V-Ray Proxy objects are an indispensable tool for managing scene memory and efficiently rendering massive amounts of geometry.
- V-Ray Proxy objects are dynamically loaded and unloaded at render-time, saving vital RAM resources. V-Ray Proxy supports ICE positions and kinematic properties.
- Dynamic Geometry - V-Ray is fully optimized for rendering dynamic geometry such as displacement, proxy objects, fur, hair.
- Animated Parameters - V-Ray for Softimage supports all geometry animation and deformations applied through animated parameters and key frames, the Animation Mixer, and ICE-based simulations.
- All geometry modifications, rigging, and Softimage operator stack levels are supported.Incremental Exporting - Once a model is tessellated, V-Ray for Softimage incrementally caches the results, significantly reducing export times.
Materials & Shading
- Product includes V-Ray Material, the V-Ray Blend Material and the V-Ray Car Paint Material.
- Physically-based Materials - Create materials based on physical properties using VRay's versatile shaders.
- Render Tree - V-Ray for Softimage supports many built-in Render Tree procedural shaders, computational, and logic nodes.
- Layered Materials - V-Ray Blend materials quickly render complex materials using the V-Ray Blend material, or use built-in Softimage texture layers for additional flexibility.
- Ptex - Ptex greatly simplifies the texturing process by efficiently storing textures and eliminating the need to assign UVs.
- Weightmaps - Apply per-vertex transformations to geometry and color attributes using Weightmaps.
- Hair and Fur - Render hair and fur with unprecedented control, quality, and speed using the VRayHairMtl shader.
- Car Paint Material - VRayCarPaintMtl offers controls for base paint, clear coat, and metallic flakes within a single, optimized shader. The VrayCarPaintMtl simplifies the creation of complex, multi-layered automotive paints.
- Toon Shader - Create simple cartoon outlines using the V-Ray Toon shader.
- Dispersion - Add realism using dispersion to trace and refract light based on its wavelength.
Lights & Illumination
- Physically-based Lights - Create realistic illumination using physically-based lights, including IES lights and texture-mapped area lights.V-Ray Sun and Sky - Emulate real-world atmospheric lighting conditions using the V-Ray Sun and Sky system.
- Dome Light - Create simple, artifact-free image-based lighting using the Dome Light. Its powerful importance sampling analyzes HDR images and optimizes light tracing and GI precision.
Cameras & Optics
- Motion Blur - Render true 3D motion blur using the V-Ray Physical Camera. Additional settings provide complete control over camera motion blur and shutter efficiency.
- Depth of Field and Bokeh Effects - Create fast and accurate depth of field with bokeh effects using the V-Ray Physical Camera.
- Lens Distortion using Nuke Displacement Maps - Import displacement maps from Nuke to match lens distortion.
- Render Elements -An extensive list of render elements allows for complete control in compositing.
- Multi-channel Scanline OpenEXR Files - Produce scanline-based OpenEXR files for efficient processing in compositing applications.
- Support for .vrscene Output - Using V-Ray’s native .vrscene file format, scenes can be scripted for post processing and easily distributed in a render farm environment.
- Import Material Properties - Basic material properties created in 3ds Max or Maya can be imported to V-Ray for Softimage.
Version / Release Updates
- VRay RT now support multiple GPUs on a single workstation
- (5) GPU's in one system have been tested.
- VRay RT can now be sent to a renderfarm utilizing either CPUs or GPUs
- (it runs through its own Spawner that comes with V-Ray)
- One challenge though, is that Qube and Deadline aren't set up to control this (yet)
Specifications & Licensing
- A SSE2- capable processor (Intel Pentium IV or later);
- 2 GB RAM minimum;
- A supported operating system:
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (SP2 or higher), 32-bit or 64-bit versions;
- Microsoft® Windows Vista® Business (SP1 or higher), 32-bit or 64-bit versions;
- Microsoft® Windows 7®, 32-bit or 64-bit versions;
Note: Linux versions will become available with an upcoming service pack at no additional cost.
- Softimage 2010 (64-bit);
- Softimage 2011 (64-bit);
- Softimage 2011 SAP edition (64-bit);
- Softimage 2012 (64-bit);
- Softimage 2012 SAP edition (64-bit);
Note: 32-bit versions are also available for all platforms; additionally, Chaos Group provides versions for Softimage 7.0 and Softimage 7.5 on an as-is, unsupported basis.
VRay uses the WIBU licensing system for it's floating licenses which are tied to a hardware dongle. The dongle contains information about the number of available licenses. You can attach more than one dongle to the same machine to increase the number of available licenses. Before using the dongle, you must install a driver for accessing it. A single dongle may have multiple versions of VRay, and you can run more than one VRay server on your network.
In order for the licensing to work, the computer must have TCP/IP installed properly. Please note, however, that currently IPv6 is not supported and must be completely removed.
Contact RFX for details.
Upgrades / Support
Chaos Group offers the following upgrades and support options:
- Upgrade from previous versions
RFX is available for all your support needs.
- Chaos Group provides free software support electronically
- Support forums and online documentation are also available
Contact RFX for details.
V-ray is compatible with the following applications:
- Autodesk 3ds Max
- Autodesk Maya
- Chaos Group PFPlayer
- Chaos Group Phoenix
- Chaos Group V-ray RT
- Google Sketchup
- McNeel Rhino
Training / Resources
Go to the Chaos Group Forum for tips, FAQ's and tutorials
Chaos Group provides innovative rendering solutions for the media, entertainment, and design industries. For over a decade the flagship rendering software, V-Ray®, has set the standard for speed, quality, reliability and ease of use, and it has become the rendering engine of choice for renowned international studios. The company proudly supports the 3D community through a suite of software solutions: V-Ray® for Autodesk® 3ds Max®, V-Ray® for Autodesk® Maya®, V-Ray® for Autodesk® Softimage®, V-Ray® for Rhino®, V-Ray® for SketchUp®, Phoenix FD™ for Autodesk® 3ds Max®, Phoenix FD™ for Autodesk® Maya®, and Pdplayer™.