mocha Plus (formerly mocha AE) is a stand alone Planar Tracking and rotoscoping utility optimized for After Effects, Final Cut and Motion users. The advanced mask creation tools, simple user interface and copy/paste exchange with AE helps take the complications out of motion tracking and reduces keyframing headaches.
mocha Plus helps solve problematic shots that challenge the built in tools of After Effects and FInal Cut by bringing advanced planar tracking and matte creation tools in a simple, easy to learn interface. Accurate roto masks can quickly be created with variable per-point edge feathering in record time. Included mocha shape plug-ins allow users to import roto shapes directly to an After Effects layer or Final Cut timeline. mocha Plus generates corner pin, scale and transform tracking data as keyframes for the most accurate screen inserts and match moves.
A bundled version of mocha Plus is included with Adobe After Effects CS4-CS6. The new mocha Plus v4 adds features not included in the After Effects bundle including: 3D Camera Solver Module, mocha camera import plug-in for AE and the added support for Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion and Boris FX.
New Features in mocha Plus 4
Export to Adobe Premiere Pro CC Masks
mocha 4 products have been updated to now support roto mask export to Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014. With a simple copy and paste workflow, Premiere editors can now import multi-layered mocha masks into any effect. Used for isolating color correction, blurs and more.
Adobe Premiere Pro export is now found in both mocha Pro and mocha Plus.
Keyboard Shortcut Customization
mocha version 4 products introduce a new feature for users to customize their keyboard shortcuts.
Users can easily customize and save keyboard settings. Profiles for Adobe After Effects and The Foundry’s Nuke are included.
Keyboard shortcut is now found in mocha Pro and mocha Plus.
- Streamlined Interface: We have changed a number of things in the mocha interface to streamline workflow.
- Retina Support: We are converting the interface over to full Retina support for OS X. This will result in a crisper look for those on recent Apple systems.
- Icon and Button Changes: We have consolidated a number of icons into single buttons to reduce interface clutter.
- New Buttons: Buttons have been given an overhaul to reduce clutter.
- View Control Buttons: The majority of View Control buttons have dropped the arrow in favour of the click and hold action.
- Workflow changes
- New Project-Based Structure
- Previously all projects were based off the initial clip you imported, which made it harder to import other clips or modify existing settings. The new project structure has the Project Settings dialog which allows you to modify the project independently from the clips you import. This means you can now open a project file to view layer content without needing to relink footage.
- New Export Formats
- In addition to exporting to Stereo format, we have added new export data formats.
- Tracking Data Export Changes:
- •Adobe After Effects Transform Data: This version now no longer exports the anchor point data to reduce confusion about how to use the export. If you need to stabilise instead of matching motion, you can use the "invert" checkbox in the export dialog.
- Shape Data Export Changes:
- New Adobe Premiere Pro CC Mask format: You can now export and paste to Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014
- Keyboard Shortcut Customization: You can now customize keyboard shortcuts for almost every tool, action and menu item in mocha Plus 4.0.0.
mocha’s 2.5D planar motion tracking engine accurately follows translation, scale, rotation, skew and perspective. Unlimited tracking layers handle reflections, obstructed and blurred objects, even areas with low detail. The AdjustTrack module and overlay tools help solve tracking challenges with pixel-perfect accuracy.
Advanced Roto Tools
X-spline and Bezier creation tools are purposely designed for artists to easily create detailed roto shapes. When linked to mocha’s planar tracking, roto shapes inherit motion and perspective, dramatically reducing manual keyframe work. Advanced tools for shape editing include per-point edge feathering, join layers tool, transform tool, group layers and more making mocha the ideal system for rotoscoping.
Adobe Premiere Pro Support
Copy and paste masks directly into Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
Premiere Pro editors can now use mocha masks to isolate color correction, blurs and more. mocha’s advanced tracking and roto tools create accurate masks with minimal keyframing. Export mutli-layered masks to AE, Premiere and FCP without rendering.
3D Camera Solver
Solve 3D match moving capabilities with planar ease. Unlike feature based tracking, mocha solves the 3D camera based on user-selected planes. This fast and easy-to-use solution is ideal for set extensions, 3D text and particle tracking. Additionally the 3D solver can be used to assist other 3D tracking applications on difficult shots with low detail or significant foreground occlusions.
This simple and easy-to-use interface allows users to calibrate the distortion introduced by camera lenses. Unwanted lens distortion can be removed or matched for realistic compositing. Export to the free mocha Lens plug-in for After Effects or export distortion map data for Nuke, Flame, Fusion and more*.
Compare Product Versions
Specifications & Licensing
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
Memory: 4 GB +
Disk: High-speed disk array
Graphics Card: NVDIA Quadro FX 1500 or equivalent
Processor: At least 1-GHz Pentium IV or PowerPC G4
Disk: At least 1 GB
Memory: At least 1 GB
Graphics card: Must support OpenGL
Monitor: Minimum resolution 1200x800 pixels
Working with high-resolution footage such as 2K or HD is very demanding on system resources, a system with at least 4 GB of system memory and 256 MB of texture memory should be used.
Mac: Mac OS X 10.5.0 or higher, on Intel or PowerPC.
Windows: Windows XP Professional SP2 or higher, Windows Vista Business or Ultimate, Windows 7 on
x86 or x64.
Linux: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, CentOS 4, or a compatible Linux distribution on i386 or x86_64.
Compatible Third-Party Software
mocha can export tracking and shape data to a selection of third-party visual effects software. These are
the versions we have tested:
Export track data to:
- Export 2D tracking to After Effects CS3-CS6, Apple Motion, Final Cut v7 and Boris FX.
- Apple: Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express
- Apple Motion
- Export 3D Camera and Null data to After Effects CS4-CS6.
Export roto data to:
- Apple: Final Cut Pro (with mocha shape for Final Cut plug-in)
- After Effects CS3, CS4, CS5, CS6 (with mocha shape for After Effects plug in)
- Export roto masks to After Effects and Final Cut v7 (mocha shape FXplug included)
Supports: Avid Media Composer, Sony Vegas & Adobe Premiere via Boris FX (not included)
Single user / Nodelocked Licenses Allows you to use the software on a single computer. When you generate your license, you will be asked to provide the computers ID, and the license will be specific to that computer.
Floating license are used where one or more users within a facility wish to share licenses. This requires installing a small license server program the computers on the network, which serves the licenses to the others.
Dongles are available and come with a license that allows you to run the software on any computer that the dongle is plugged in to
Note: USB Dongles are not currently compatible with 64-bit versions of our software on Mac OS X
Upgrades / Support
Imagineering Systems offers the following Upgrades and Support options:
Imagineering Systems Maintenance
- Yearly maintenance includes upgrades to new releases
- Online technical support
- Upgrade from Adobe AE CS4-CC to mocha Plus
RFX is available for all your support needs.
Imagineering Systems offers technical support via email with active maintenance
mocha Plus is compatible with the following applications
- Adobe After Effects
- Apple Final Cut Pro
Training / Resources
Go to swdfx.com for custom training from Steve Wright
Steve Wright is a senior visual effects artist and trainer with over 20 years of production experience creating digital effects for over 60 feature films, including three years working with the Digital Intermediate process. As a senior digital compositing artist and 2D Technical Director he has an unusual combination of both artistic and technical understanding of Digital Compositing and Digital Intermediate.
His independent services include:
- Master Compositing Trainer
- Nuke, Shake and mocha Training
- Freelance Digital Effects Artist
- Feature Film Titling
- Speaker & Lecturer
- Visual Effects & Digital Intermediate Writer
Mary Poplin, Imagineer Systems
What is mocha Pro? Planar tracking and more.
Covers mocha features and comparison between mocha Pro and mocha AE.
Duration: 10:56 play now
Removing a Blemish. mocha Pro for Digital Retouching
Covers Remove Module and Clean Plates
Duration: 3:34 play now
How mocha Thinks.
Covers Remove Module and Clean Plates.
Duration: 16:06 play now
Aaron Benitez, The VFX Bro
Make a Pikachu in After Effects & mocha: Part 1
mocha's tracking and rotoscoping for isolated color correction. Paste to AE.
Duration: 20:06 play now
Make a Pikachu in After Effects & mocha: Part 2
More tracking and roto to make an animal talk.
Duration: 11:32 play now
The Final Project
See the short film that has received over 1.5 million views.
Duration: 1:38 play now
Go to Imagineer Systems Forum for FAQ's, support and tips
Go to Imagineer Systems for free tutorials and training videos