By: Video CoPilot
Optical Flares is a plug-in for designing and animating realistic lens flares in After Effects & NUKE.
- Add final touches to Motion Graphics
- Simulate Concert or Stadium Lighting
- Fake Volumetric Lighting
- Help Blend 3D Animations
- Build a virtual Light Array for Music Videos
- Add Realism to your Virtual Sets
- Add Flares to Live Action Footage
- Simulate Visible Atmosphere with Lighting
- Simulate Bright Lights in your scene
- Draw focus to a product or graphic
- Accentuate Highlights or contours
- 3D Lens Flares with AE Lights
- Intuitive Design Interface
- Live Visual Preset Library
- Real Texture Support
- Dynamic Triggering Animations
- Chromatic Aberration
- Up to 32 bpc color support
- 12 unique Lens Objects
- 50 custom Lens Objects
- Large Pop-Out Preview window
- Rename, & Rearrange Objects
- Show BG in Preview Window
- Integrated Copy & Paste
- Duplicate Objects & Undo/Redo
- 60 Built-in Presets (included)
- Real Lens Inspired Presets
- Share & Swap Presets
- Save All Settings in One Place
- Save & Reuse Individual Objects
- Expand and Build New Presets
3D Lens Flares
- Optical Flares will automatically calculate size and intensity based on your 3D Lights
- Generate lens flares from AE 3D lights
- Works with lights exported from your 3D application
- Create multiple flares with 1 instance of Optical Flares
- Choose to render Flares for specific lights only
- Add realism with lens artifacts from actual photographic elements
- Over 25 built-in textures to choose from
- Use custom layers from your project in a flare
- Auto-rotate textures towards light for realistic movement
- Custom layers can be still or animated
- Static lens objects come to life with dynamic triggering to create natural animation without keyframes
- Recreate organic animation with several trigger types
- Create a flash of light as your flare exits the frame
- Iris elements change size as they drift away
- Trigger area can be previewed for precise animations
- On-Lens Simulations let you simulate dust & scratches on your lens that becomes visible by the light source. 12 textures included
- Luminance Tracking generates lens flares from bright spots in your video such as a particle system or matte layer
- Auto-Shimmering adds smooth flowing shimmer to elements with self-propelling animation with no keyframes
- Light Flickering makes light appear more energetic with random light flickering featuring a unique seed for each light source.
- Flexible Core Objects lets you build lens flares with the use of 12 core objects. These elements offer flexibility with detailed control settings.
- 3D Occlusion lets you obscure layers by alpha or luminance to simulate the light source going behind objects in the foreground. 2D & 3D layers supported
- Mask Positioning for animation of lens flares along the contour of complex shapes that would require extra key framing
- Chromatic Aberration simulates realistic color bleeding around the outside of the lens. This effect also helps make the lens flare look more organic & natural
- 32 Bit & GPU Ready for Optical Flare renders up to 32 bpc offering high color fidelity as well as enhanced speed with Graphics card acceleration
- Precise Translating controls the position of each object with distance, offset and custom translation. Features are essentials to building anamorphic elements.
Version / Release Updates
Video Copilot Optical Flares for NUKE Now Available
Optical Flares for Nuke is now available! Custom Lens Flare Generator, Over 100 Presets Including new Nuclear Presets + Conspiracy Presets, 70+ Photographic Textures & Anamorphic sprites, and much more.
- OPTICAL FLARES FOR NUKE PLUG-IN: Includes the Optical Flares Plug-in, 100+ Presets and 90+ Photographic Textures.
- NUKE VERSION CROSS-GRADE: Discounted plugin for Optical Flares for After Effects users.
- NUKE FLARE BUNDLE: Includes the Optical Flares for Nuke plugin, the Pro Preset 1 Pack and Pro Presets 2 each with 50 high-end flare presets.
- Custom Lens Flare Generator
- Over 100 Presets Including new Nuclear Presets + Conspiracy Presets
- 70+ Photographic Textures & Anamorphic sprites
- On Lens Simulations
- Save and Share Presets
- Dynamic Triggering for automatic animations
- Generate multiple 2D Lens Flares on a single instance
Specifications & Licensing
**64-BIT CS5 Ready
Mac (Intel only) & PC Compatible
- After Effects 7, CS3, CS4 & CS5
- Final Cut Pro
- Other Quick Time based software
Video Card GPU Support (optional):
Optical Flares does not require a special graphics card to render but you can increase render performance with recommended cards.
Recommended Cards (optional):
Nvidia GeForce 7000 Series (Except 7300 on MAC)
Nvidia GeForce 8000 Series
Nvidia GeForce 9000 Series
Nvidia GeForce 200 Series
Nvidia Quadro FX Series
ATI X1300 and above on Windows
ATI HD Series on Mac
NOTE: Other graphics cards may be supported but speed improvements may not be as great. GPU Compatibility may vary on Mac converted Nvidia Cards, since updated drivers are not available from Nvidia.
Important information about CS5 and 64-bit
- Each Plug-in comes in 2 versions: one for After Effects CS5 (64-bit) and one for previous versions of After Effects such as AE 7, CS3 & CS4 (32-bit).
- Please install the plug-in based on your version After Effects only. The 64-bit version is for After Effects CS5 only and NOT based on your Operating System.
- So if you have AE CS4 installed on the 64-bit version of Windows 7, you still only need to install the 32-bit version of the plug-in because AE CS4 is still a 32-bit application.
- Customers can reuse their current licenses with this update. Simply copy your license file from the previous directory into the new installation folder. If you have a new computer or need to request a new license please contact RFX.
Licenses and media are delivered electronically via Email.
The product may be installed on 1 workstation and 1 personal system such as a laptop or home computer. This applies only if the systems are used by the same person and not multiple users.
Network Licenses are not available.
Upgrades / Support
No upgrades available
RFX is available for all your support needs.
Video CoPilot offers free support via email and online Forum
Add extra value to your Optical Flare package with these bundles
- Optical Flares Bundle: Optical Flares, Pro Presets 1
- Pro Flares Bundle: Optical Flares, Pro Presets 1 & 2
- Action Flares Bundle: Optical Flares, Pro Presets 1& 2 and Action Essentials II: 720p
- Ultimate 10-Pack:
- Optical Flares
- Pro Presets 1 & 2
- Action Essentials II: 720P
- Pro Scores
- The Bullet
- Series One Twitch
- Designer Sound FX
- Riot Gear
- Serious FX
- Video Streams
Training / Resources
Optical Flares includes over 90 minutes of After Effects training by Andrew Kramer
Go to Video CoPilot for Forum, Basic Training, and Tutorials